“I love sleep because it’s like a time machine to breakfast!”-Unknown. This completely explains my affection for breakfast. I know I’ve probably said it way too many times before but there’s just something so special about it, I can’t get enough. This mostly includes the fact that the best foods of the day are all acceptable before 12:00pm. You can basically make chocolate chip cookie dough, put it in the waffle iron, and call it breakfast.
Last weekend, we took a road trip down to Atlanta, and I made these little beauties for our morning drive. Over the past eleven years I have learned that when on road trips, one cannot give Wiley the entire container of goodies because the next time you look they will all be gone. So you distribute one at a time. If you have a loved one like this, I recommend doing this because these muffins will go quickly. They are delicious and full of so many nutrients.
Gluten Free Berry Muffins
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2/3 cup raw sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce or smashed banana
- 2 eggs or flax eggs if vegan
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 ½ cup frozen mixed berries
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 12- cup muffin tin or line with liners.
- In a large bowl, cream together coconut oil and sugar. Stir in applesauce, eggs, and almond milk.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, flour, baking powder, zest, and salt.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined and fold in berries.
- Spoon batter evenly into the muffin tin and allow to bake for 30 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes and serve.
© 2020 © Copyright - A Happy Healthy Heart - All Rights Reserved