I’m not the biggest fan of sweet things but I do think that no party is complete without a beautiful (and delicious) dessert! For my recent Spring tablescape, I made this Lemon Coconut Cake and it was perfect for the occasion. It’s not too sweet, a little bit tart and a whole lot of good!
This recipe takes a simple vanilla cake and amps it up with the combination of lemons and coconut, both of which I’m a big fan of. So the next time you’re in need of an easy dessert that will “wow” a crowd, this is your cake!
- 1 cup solid coconut oil
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Rub coconut oil on two 9-inch round cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper. Put a bit more coconut oil on the parchment paper and dust it with flour.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl until well combined. Fold in coconut. In a separate bowl, beat the coconut oil and sugar together until well incorporated. Add in the eggs, one at a time with the beater on medium speed, scraping down the bowl as needed. Add in the vanilla. In a small bowl combine the milk and lemon juice.
- Beat in the flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the milk and lemon juice mixture, beginning and ending with flour, until just smooth. Divide the batter into the two pans and bake for about 35-40 minutes or until the cakes are golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. In the mean time make the icing by whisking together all icing ingredients (you want the icing to be pretty thick, it’s too thin add more powdered sugar and if it’s too thick add more lemon juice). Set aside.
- Once cooked, remove cake pans from the oven and place pans onto a cooling rack and allow to cool for 10 minutes, then remove cakes and allow to continue to cool. Pour half of the icing onto the bottom layer of the cake and spread around. Place the top half on top and ice again. Garnish with lemon slices.
© 2021 © Copyright - A Happy Healthy Heart - All Rights Reserved