I grew up eating corn muffins and corn bread with special meals. Sunday lunch, birthdays, weekend getaways at grandmas, and dinners out all included the sweet, often fried, treats. I have always loved their flakiness and warmth. Now that I don’t quite eat the same as I used to, I spend a lot of time attempting to make traditional food, nutritious.
I believe I have achieved just that with these muffins. There is no processed fat, dairy, or gluten put into this recipe. This might lead you to believe that there is no way that they could be tasty but the corn certainly is the star player here.
- 2 cups corn meal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp Earth Balance vegan butter
- 2 medjool pitted dates
- 2 cups unsweetened cashew milk, or any other non-dairy milk
- 2 cups frozen or fresh corn kernels
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease muffin pan.
- If using frozen corn, combine milk and corn in a small saucepan and cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- In a large bowl, combine corn meal, salt, baking powder and cayenne.
- Once corn is warm, pour into blender or food processor and combine with dates and vegan butter.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry and mix.
- Pour the batter into greased muffin pan.
- Allow to cook for 25-30 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
© 2021 © Copyright - A Happy Healthy Heart - All Rights Reserved